Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Henry Valentine Miller

When I got rid of everything (and I mean everything) the one piece of art I kept was Henry Miller's Happy Day. He was primarily known through his career as a novelist but towards the later part of his career he was churning out works of art in inspired breaths.

For me Happy Day always evokes exactly what the title calls for.

“To the person who thinks with his head, life is a comedy. To those who thinks with their feelings, or work through their feelings, life is a tragedy.”
--Henry Miller

Henry Miller's Happy Day - for sale $10,000
It brought to mind one of my favorite laughs from Dustin Hoffman regarding his gender bending role in Tootsie.

“I never thought of it as a comedy”

It’s all how we see it.

Let's choose to have a Happy Day!